Pokies: How to Play
The very concept of gambling makes no sense without pokies. In fact, pokies comprise a huge majority of casino games, especially in Australia, where they can be found everywhere. They are delightful games of chance that can be played by beginners as well as seasoned casino players.
Pokie players do not have to bother about complex gaming strategies as there is no way to improve one’s odds of winning at pokies. The house has an advantage, and all players can do is relax, play responsibly, enjoy the gaming experience, and grab any jackpots they are lucky to win.
The advantages of playing pokies are many. First, they come in a wide range of themes, such as animals, movies, video games, TV shows, comics, vacations, and so on.
Second, they come in a wide range of pay lines, starting from the one-line pokies to those with 243 or even more ways to win. Third, they come packed with lucrative features such as wilds, scatters, expanding wilds, bonus games, free spins, re-spins, progressive jackpots, and others.
Small stakes, big winnings
Maybe the biggest attraction of playing online pokies is the fact that you can win massive amounts of money with just a small stake. Some of the world’s largest online progressives were won with stakes of under 0.50 AUD.
How to play pokies online
Online pokies are slightly different from offline pokies although based on the same principles. Players need first to place a bet by selecting the number of lines and the number of coins they would like to play and a coin size from a range of coin values. Once they have placed their bets, they can set the reels spinning by clicking on the Spin option. Online pokies also have a Bet Max option for players who would like to bet the maximum.
In some pokies, a Gamble option becomes visible as soon as players create a winning combination. If they click on the Gamble option, they can play a game of chance to double or quadruple their winnings. However, if they make the wrong guess, they will lose their winnings. The gamble option does not favour the casino in any way. Your odds of doubling your winnings are exactly 50%.
Playing for fun
Online pokies can be played for fun or real money at all Australian online casinos. If players play in the fun or practice mode, they will not be able to win any real money jackpots. Playing for fun is just a nice, risk-free way of getting familiar with a new pokie. You can also take a no deposit bonus and play for real money, at a real online casino, without any risk.
Most lucrative Pokies
All pokies are developed to give the house an advantage over the players, owing to which players should play only pokies with a high return-to-player (RTP) percentage.
For reference: an RTP of 96% and up is considered a high RTP for an online pokie.
Also, pokies without progressive jackpots pay better during the base game than pokies with massive progressive jackpots.
Players should always remember that smaller jackpots are easier to hit than larger jackpots. It is perfectly okay to try and catch that big progressive pokie, just bear in mind that the odds of hitting that big, life-changing jackpot are about the same as being struck by lightning. Twice.
Here are some exciting pokie tips to help players win at pokies:
- Avoid playing progressive pokies that have paid out their progressive jackpots during the previous month. Instead, play pokies that have not paid out jackpots for a long time
- Check out the different progressive jackpot sizes and play the one that is the highest
- Players’ chances of winning will increase if they play pokies with payout percentages in the range of 95% to 99%. You can check the payout percentage (also known as RTP or Return To Player) in the rules section of the individual pokie
- Always play maximum lines
- Always bet according to your budget and playing style
- Only bet max to if your budget allows it or you are having a winning session
- If you want pure excitement, play a high variance games such as Book of Dead (Play’n GO), Gonzo’s Quest (Netent), Jack and the Beanstalk (Netent) or Jurassic Giants (Pragamtic Play). Be careful, though, wins can be enormous, but your bankroll can evaporate fast
- If you are not sure how a pokie works, practice for free before playing for real money
Have fun and good luck!
Best Australian online casinos for pokies:
|1||Mucho Vegas Casino||$1,500||Review|
The Superbigwin pokies strategy guide with eight great expert tips to help you beat the pokies!
Netent Pokie reviews: lot of honest reviews of Net Entertainment pokies
Free Spin Bonuses: extensive page of the best pokie free spins bonuses
Wolf Gold Review: our review of Pragmatic Play’s most popular slot